Saturday, February 26, 2011

FINAL THOUGHTS



Well today is the last full day before the Academy Awards.  For the last 3 years or so I have tried to see and predict the Oscar winners. This is the first year that I began looking into it so early in the year. I really started thinking about it August and started this blog September 12th. A lot has happened since then. Many movies were being thrown around in August as having Oscar potential and most of them either had bad reviews, poor box office results or just not enough money or backing to campaign. I think that everyone agrees that it is a political game and the best movies of the year don't always win. The Academy is perceived as old and out of touch with the current times. This will be realized if THE KING'S SPEECH wins out over THE SOCIAL NETWORK.  Here is a quick review of the last year:

*THE SOCIAL NETWORK vs. THE KING'S SPEECH-In the beginning THE NETWORK was being called the best movie ever made and was guaranteed to win Best Picture. It was winning every critics award and everyone was talking about it. Then came THE SPEECH. All of a sudden it began winning all of the guild awards and quickly moved to the top of the list.

*I thought for sure I'M STILL HERE, CLIENT 9 and WAITING FOR SUPERMAN would be nominated for Best Documentary. None of them made the cut.

*There was talk of Tyler Perry getting a nomination for THE COLORED GIRLS. The movie had horrible reviews and didn't make any money.

*We all thought that THE TOWN had all the makings of a Best Picture and Director nomination, but Jeremy Renner is the only one to come out if it.

*What ever happened to CONVICTION?

*One of my favorite movies of the year LET ME IN had a lot of early praise, but not many saw it and it is a horror film.

Many critics and bloggers this year have said that it was an ugly year and they can't wait for it to all be over. I too am ready for the winners to be announced and then start looking into next year.

p.s. I am seeing a lot of changes to Best Supporting Actress picks. I am sticking with Melissa Leo. See all my picks in MY 2011 PREDICTIONS page.

1 comment:

  1. I personally felt it to be a good year, better then last year.

    ReplyDelete