Wednesday, September 14, 2011

EARLY BEST PICTURE PREDICTIONS




I read a lot all year about the possible Oscar contenders. The beginning of September is when a ton of movies start getting Oscar buzz due to reviews and word of mouth from the various film festivals. As these movies get released in the Fall some start to fade away due to poor box office or poor Oscar promotion. Last year at this time we were talking SECRETARIAT, SOMEWHERE and FOR COLORED GIRLS. They were released and never heard from again, but we also were hearing a lot of talk about THE SOCIAL NETWORK and THE KINGS SPEECH. I hate predicting before I see a movie. I can't really get the Academy Award vibe until I see it myself. I don't get invited to all of the screenings (yet) so  I have to wait for them to be released which is usually lat in the year.  But I would not be doing this blog justice if I did not start predicting.

I will begin adding my predictions in each category this week.

Let me begin with Best Picture:

Remember this year there will be a minimum of 5 but no more than 10 nominees. also the new voting system requires that the Academy voters choose their number 1 and at 300 voters must choose a film as their number 1 in order for the movie to be nominated. This is why it is doubtful that some of the biggest box office hits this year will not make it. (are 300 people really going to pick Harry Potter as their number 1 movie of the year?) I am doubtful that there will be 10 on the list in the end. I predict 8 Best Picture nominees, but here is my best guess so far:

-THE DESCENDANTS

-WAR HORSE

-J. EDGAR

-THE ARTIST

-IDES OF MARCH

-THE HELP

-MIDNIGHT IN PARIS

-EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE

-TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY

-A DANGEROUS METHOD

Please feel free to comment on my list and submit your own predictions!

No comments:

Post a Comment